Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Thoughts on Social Media

I am sitting here drinking my egg nog (sans whiskey, though that might help my writing) and thinking about this whole social media phenomenon. I have been involved with marketing my photography through social media for almost two years, and I must admit to a growing sense of frustration with it. The conventional wisdom these days is that social media is a must have marketing tool for any business venture, large and small. My use of social media has primarily been with Facebook, Flickr, and to a much lesser degree Twitter. Early last year I developed a business Facebook page for my photography, and after eighteen months and a not inconsequential amount of money spent on advertising (you're welcome, Zuckerberg) I have amassed almost 2,500 fans. But what impact has this had on my bottom line? If the idea of social media is to advance our business and make money, shouldn't that be the ultimate criterion by which it is judged? If that is the case then Facebook has been a complete failure for me. Sure, I very much value my fans comments on my work and in that respect it has been helpful. When trying to decide which images to include in an exhibit or art fair I look to see which of them received the most comments. But from a purely bottom line standpoint it has done little for me. I have no doubt many other types of businesses have benefited greatly from Facebook. I'm just doubtful that landscape photography is among them. Adding to the frustration is that fan participation on my page has been on the decline for months now. Despite having more fans than ever the number that comment on my photos has been less and less, despite efforts to keep them involved. I am no longer the flavor of the month it would seem.

My experience with Flickr has been something different. At the behest of a friend I signed up for a Flickr account and started uploading photos. This will be good exposure, I thought. After a few months of this I began to question what good this was doing me. You see, the feedback on Flickr is always positive, never critical. "Brilliant!" is a common post. It has reached the point where I think I could post a pic of toenail clippings arranged somewhat artistically (however that would be done I have no idea) and I would get the usual positive response. Brilliant! Fantastic! My real problem with Flickr is that in order to get comments you have to give them, to the point where I feel it becomes an obligation. Leaving comments solely to receive them in return. In essence a popularity contest. What's the point of this? Ego gratification? I admit to a certain amount of wanting that ego stroke, both on Flickr and Facebook. Artists I believe are all very insecure underneath. The main benefit I have seen with Flickr is the ability to look at many other photographers work and learn from it. Beyond that it has provided nothing. But at least it's free.

I ask myself what a true professional landscape photographer would do (WWATPPD). I know for a fact they do not deal with Flickr. I currently no longer post to Flickr, though I do lurk. One of the best ways to advance your art and gain inspiration is to look at other photographers work. Professional photographers do utilize Facebook however, and I am curious to know what their experience has been. Am I just doing it wrong? Maybe I'm just not that good? Perish the thought! Perhaps I'm just not savvy enough. That is entirely possible, and likely. But I'm not giving up on social media. I will continue to tweak my strategy, hoping for that breakthrough that will skyrocket me to fame and riches. I mean really, is that too much to ask?

6 comments:

  1. Chris you have a "product" that can be tough to translate via social media(unlike music for instance). I can experience a song from an artist just as it was meant to be, as if I were in person with the artist. No can do with photography..its much more personal. At the risk of being very old fashioned, you kinda have to see the item first hand (unfiltered by a computer) to feel the story that you wanted the viewer to "hear". Just my opinion for what it is worth..ps readers..yes I have bought a nice big photo from him! :-) Karen T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment, Karen. What you say is very true. A photograph is a tactile thing and as such needs to be seen in person if you will to be fully appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps you would do better with door-to-door sales...

    Karen is right about photography not translating well on the web. I see the pictures online and they are good, but in person they are something much greater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true. And I think people would like me going door-to-door. At dinner time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris - If your other FaceBook friends are like me, they enjoy taking pictures not buying them. I work in a Marketing Dept for a large company, and FaceBook is used to promote our Brand. The idea is - the more people know you, the more business you will have. In your case, maybe it is a new assignment or a suggestion to attend an art fair (have you been to the Paradise City fair in Northampton Ma?). So for me, I would rather attend a class or seminar with you then buy a photo. I hope this helps. Larry Sanchez

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larry, thanks for your comment. True, there are other ways to make money beyond selling prints. But the problem with teaching classes (which I do) is that fans need to be local, and of course most FB fans are not. I am hopeful, however, and I have a feeling that one day the exposure I am getting on FB will pay off.

    ReplyDelete