Saturday, April 14, 2012

Travels With Myself and Someone Else

That someone else is my best friend, Brian. Yesterday we returned home from a week out west, visiting Zion and Grand Canyon National Parks. Unlike most of my trips the primary focus wasn't photography. Rather, I was looking forward to spending time with Brian. We hiked during the day, drank at night, and talked and laughed throughout it all. That's not to say there wasn't some picture taking going on. Most early mornings and evenings I was out there with my camera, although on this trip Brian was with me on a few of these occasions, a rare treat. He would wait patiently as I too waited for the elements of nature to do their thing. The picture you see here was one such occasion. We spent almost an hour at this spot, watching the shadows creep across the canyon in the fading evening light.

Brian and I have known each other literally from birth. This past week was the most time we had spent together in God knows how long. And while we were both ready to return home, it wasn't without a certain degree of sadness. Not because I was leaving those beautiful places, but rather because it was the end of our vacation together. For me the trip wasn't about Zion, the Grand Canyon, or even photography. It was simply about spending time with my best friend, a reward far greater than any photograph.

2 comments:

  1. this so resounds with me. My trip was to Eastport ME with my best friend from college, which was 54 years ago. We stayed in a cabin with gas for heating and lighting etc. We drew and painted all day, never really leaving the gorgeous area around us, and talked,laughed and cried the rest of the time. It was superb, a week to be together and be the friends we were. As you said, the art was important but the time with my friend was the point of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you could relate to this post, it sounds like you enjoyed a very similar experience. My sister and I are very close, but it's been a long time since we did something with just the two of us, hopefully we will be doing a similar trip together next year.

      Delete