Monday, April 18, 2011

Musings Over Wine

Dogwoods and Stream
I frequently am asked the question, "how do you make a living as a landscape photographer?", to which I reply that when I find out I will let them know.  The truth of the matter is I currently do not make a living as a freelance nature photographer, though that is my ultimate goal.  In the meantime I also work part time as a geological consultant from my home.  This setup allows me the time and flexibility with which to pursue my dream. 

The question in my mind every day is will I ever achieve that goal?  The reality of the situation is sobering.  Other nature photographers have done it obviously, so I know it can be done.  But can I do it?  There are days when I feel that it is possible, usually after I've made a few very nice images or I've made a sale.  But then there are days when the doubts and insecurities make it all seem so impossible.  Talent alone is not nearly enough.  In a perfect world it would be.  With practice taking a beautiful picture becomes fairly easy.  Selling that picture is infinitely more difficult.  Business and marketing acumen is every bit if not more important than talent.  Luck of course plays a role, though I'd like to think that we make our own luck through hard work and persistence. 

So how does one become a professional landscape photographer?  There are different avenues one can take.  Some pursue the editorial route, getting published in magazines, calendars, etc.  Others choose to sell their prints directly through a website and art shows, exhibits, or perhaps even have their own gallery.  Both routes require a lot of dedication and hard work.  I currently am pursuing both avenues at once, seeing which one offers me the most success.  More often than not (as in most of the time) that hard work leads nowhere.  Rejection is the name of the game.  I recently was a vendor at a local arts and crafts fair and sold very little over the course of the day.  Very little.  I have a thick enough skin so I don't take it personally.  Well, usually anyway.  But it is very frustrating when all that time and hard work is for naught.  It can also make it difficult to stay motivated when you know that submission you are putting together for that magazine or calendar company will most likely be turned down.  But you never know from where and when success will come, and so you just keep plugging ahead.  And having another glass of wine.

3 comments:

  1. I too, am a nature photographer, that works full time. I happen to work in a photo lab for a camera store, so sometimes things work out for me. As you are, I would love to do my photography full time but as yet cannot. I have been to the art shows where you don't even make enough to pay your bills, but I think things will change. I know the down economy is partly to blame but just getting your name out is tough enough. I have self-published a book about a lake in Nebraska, after 2 1/2 years of work. I will try about anything to make my name known in the photography world. So keep going, and if you have any thoughts about promoting your work, I would love to hear them. Thanks for sharing,
    WAYNE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, I met you at an art show and from experience at shows, success often follows those shows. Don't give up. I have taken classes all spring and only hope to do 1/10 of what you do. I am looking forward to my retirement when I will be able to devote full time, but I wish I had gotten into it 20 years ago. I enjoy the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Wayne and Donna. I won't give up, selling is not my sole purpose for making pictures. I do it because I love it, selling them is a bonus. Wayne, I'm doing a better job these days at promotion. Sales are still slow however. Donna, I'm glad you enjoy the blog, makes me want to keep doing it. To both of you, good luck with your photography as well.

    ReplyDelete