Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Working a Scene

In landscape photography a common trap is not thoroughly "working a scene".  Too often we capture the obvious photograph of a particular scene and move on, never taking the time to see if there is a different, not so obvious way to capture it.  This has been a hard habit for me to break, as patience is not one of my limited virtues.  It is still something of which I need to constantly remind myself.

I took this photograph of Salmon River Falls just last week.  As the trail to the bottom of the gorge was not yet open I was very limited in how I was able to photograph the falls.  This was the only vantage point that offered an unobstructed view.  While this is a nice photograph I don't feel there is anything particularly special about it.  It is essentially a straightforward waterfall scene, albeit well composed and technically sound. 

In the second picture I decided to break out my 70-200mm telephoto lens (the "big daddy", as I call it) and see if there was a different, more artistic way to shoot the falls.  I experimented with focusing on many different sections of the falls, seeing which one was the most visually compelling.  I eventually settled on the photo seen below.  Is it better than the more straightforward shot?  No doubt there are many that would prefer the former over the latter.  Even I am still trying to decide how I feel about the alternate shot.  But perhaps that is what makes it more special.  It invites contemplation and repeated viewings.  And isn't that what art is all about?
 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, that is what art is about! I really like the second shot. It is almost a modern art piece and that is what makes it so interesting to me.

    Great advice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ash, I appreciate the feedback. One of my goals this year is to break out of my comfort zone and try different things. Otherwise I'll just keep getting the same type of images over and over again.

    ReplyDelete