Thursday, May 1, 2014

Death Valley Abstract



The badlands of Death Valley are an excellent subject for abstract photography. I was particularly intrigued by the fractal quality of this scene, there's no real sense of scale. Are these hills hundreds of feet high, or just merely inches (that may be pushing it, but you get the idea)? I also love the sinuous nature of the wash running through the scene. The graphical nature of the photo and subtle light of early morning also lends itself to black and white, though I've included the color version for comparison. Which do you like better?
  www.chrismurrayphotography.com


7 comments:

  1. Each has its own subtle qualities that make preferring one over the other difficult, Chris. I like the soft sense of color in the first which is quiet enough to allow the graphics to stand out. The tones are more the subject in the second and that has its appeal as well. Either would be nice on someone's wall.
    Chris....I have used the Google account to leave this comment. The system just will not accept my Wordpress url...it keeps adding illegal characters and when I try to remove them it defaults back to them. I have no idea why it is doing this but it will discourage me and others from leaving remarks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thoughtful comments, Steve. I agree, each has its own appeal, it's really up to the viewer.
      I have no idea why you're having so much difficulty leaving comments on this page, I haven't heard that from anyone else. Sigh, sometimes this stuff drives me nuts, almost more trouble than it is worth.

      Delete
  2. Trying again to see and it seems to be working this time, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear, Steve, thanks for letting me know. And Happy Anniversary!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Chris.

      Delete
  3. The color. Definitely. The great thing about seeing a shot of another world like Death Valley is that it doesn't need anything but the actual shot. You captured the light, the shadings, the mood of the place so well in color, I would hate to see that washed out and left as black and white. All of which is odd since I usually love black and white. Not today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I expected to like the black and white version better as well, but not in this case. If forced to choose it would be an easy decision.

      Delete